A rich sovereign’s Renaissance palace? Yes looking at the architecture of this beautiful building, it could well be that. But its history is fairly undramatic. From 1855, pupils were educated here in St. Joseph’s Institution - a Catholic school for boys.
The school became a museum at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1992 it was decided that this former educational institution would become a “home” for Singapore’s art collection and would also serve to promote regional and international contemporary art.
Its doors were reopened in January 1996, after 28 months of renovation work. The architectural team led by Mr Wong Hooe Wai, had accomplished the transformation of three entire buildings, plus built two new ones. By that, the museum consists of thirteen galleries with a total area of 10 0000 m2 .
The heavy wear and tear to which the floor is subjected demands superlative floor varnish. To give the newly laid and exceptionally beautiful parquet flooring in Gallery 9 10 maximum durability, the architect recommended Bona Prime, followed by two coats of Bona Traffic.
Type of floor: Jarrah strip parquet
Surface area: 223m2
Application method: Bona Roller
Flooring Contractor: Sim Kim Heng Marketing Pte Ltd
New or Renovated: New